Log Cabin Day 2013
PEOPLE FOR PALMER PARK with the support of
PALMER PARK APARTMENTS,
NATIONAL PUBLIC LANDS DAY, CITY OF DETROIT, Shinola,
Sen. Virgil Smith, Clark Hill Law Offices, Shelbourne Development/Malino Construction
Elaine & Eugene Driker. Guernsey Farms Dairy and BLAC magazine present
Palmer Park Log Cabin Day & Ice Cream Social
Tour the Cabin
Ice Cream from Guernsey Farms Dairy
Win a Shinola Bike or VIP Tickets to the US Open Tennis Championship
Mad Hatter & Bonnet Contest
- Rouge Nail Salon in Ferndale: $100. gift certificate
- Vogue Vintage Ferndale: $ 50. gift certificate
- Treat Dreams Ferndale: $ 10. (x3) gift certificates
- Easy Like Sundae Ferndale: $ 20.
- Red Hook Coffee Ferndale: $ 10.
- Charles McBride’s Hat Shop on Livernois in Detroit : $ 40. gift certificate
- Rainy Day Hobby Store Ferndale: remote-controlled helicopter
In the Cabin
- A photo exhibit by S. Kay Young with images of Native American events and people.
- African American quilts and local quilters — Francine Guice & Bettie Pitchford — dressed at Sojourner Truth and Harriet Tubman, who will demonstrate and talk about this amazing craft, its history and relationship to slavery and the underground railroad.
- We want to bring history alive, so Wayne State University theatre students Assata Haki and Andy Gaitens will be dressed at Senator and Mrs. Palmer and will be performing in character, greeting people at the door to the cabin as you begin your tour.
- Historian Greg Piazza will talk about the history of the cabin, the Palmers and Palmer Park
Entertainment outside the cabin includes:
- 1 pm: Native American drummer/flutist Lee Blackbear
- 1:30 pm & 3:15 pm : Chelsea Home Orchestra (high school Celtic fiddlers)
- Storyteller/historian Amy Elliot Bragg (nighttraintodetroit.com)
- 2:15 pm: Luther Badman Keith Blues Band
- 2:30 pm: T.J. Richardson African American Square Dancers (join in!)
- A young juggler unicyclist and a group of Penny Farthing cyclists from the Wheelmen will add additional entertainment.
- Facepainting for children with Bubbles the Clown Marilyn Jones and other facepainters
- Be sure to pose for your souvenir photo in front of the Cabin, shot by top Detroit-area photographer Kyla Dorsey (www.kyladorsey.com)
- Tai Chi demonstration with Peter Guenther
- More surprises
FOOD LAB & Picnics
- April Anderson’s Good Cakes and Bakes
- Herman Hayes & Dilla’s Delights (donuts)
- Lisa Ludwinski’s Sister Pies (baked mini-pies)
- Anika Grose (cupcakes, jams, jellies)
- Monique Styles’ Coordinated Glam (cakes)
- Wendy Casey (baked goods)
- Reuben Reid’s Flavorful Creations (cookies, cupcakes)
- Treats by Angelique (baked goods)
- Noam Kimelman’s Fresh Corner Cafe (Wraps, Sandwiches, Salads)
- Angela Dagle’s Beautiful Soup
People for Palmer Park is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the revitalization of Detroit’s Palmer Park. PFPP is entrusted by the City of Detroit’s Adopt-a-Park program as its Community Partner. The organization formed in 2010 in response to reports that the city planned to close the park.